For two servings you will need:
- 1 ¼ cups of rinsed jasmine rice or any long-grain rice
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or olive oil
- 2 white onions, chopped
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger or powder
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 cup of peas
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 can of coconut milk or coconut cream
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- 1 tbsp raw or brown sugar
- 1 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- Handful of chopped cilantro
- Add the chopped onions, oil and salt to a large pan and cook for 5 minutes, sitting often, the onion softens and turns translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and stir continuously.
- Cut the sweet potato in small cubes and add it to the pan with 1/2 cup of water.
- Add the grounded nutmeg, curry powder and ginger.
- Once the sweet potato starts to soften, add the tomato paste and cinnamon.
- Stir on medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the coconut cream/milk and sugar, stirring
- Add the peas at let simmer for 10 minutes on low heat
- Turn off the fire, add tamari and chopped cilantro
Steps for coconut rice:
- Rinse the rice until the water is transparent
- Butter a small pan
- Add the rice with 3/4 cup of water and one cup of coconut milk
- Stir continuously on high heat until bubbles start appearing
- Stop stirring, cover the pan and let simmer for 15-20 minutes on low heat
- Once the pan has no water left it is ready!